Sunday, June 1, 2014

My feelings as I was received as a member of Christ Lutheran Church today...



I wanted to mention first that I became a member of the universal church, Christ's body, before this. I received the Holy Spirit and confessed my faith in Jesus in 2011 and was baptized in 2012. This baptism was into Christ, not into the church where the baptism took place...

Church membership then has been a separate step for me. You may remember in previous posts that I had decided to become a member of a church and completed classes to that affect, but it wasn't "official" until today.

In some ways becoming a member of the church was similar to a Jehovah's Witness baptism. I was asked questions in front of the congregation. I can't remember the exact wording, (Those who know the real questions, please forgive me!) but it was something like this: Do you believe the Lord Jesus Christ was crucified, died and was buried, and rose again 3 days later? "I do." Do you believe in the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit, one God? "I do." Do you intend to receive the gifts that Christ bestows upon you? "I do." Do you intend to live as a Christian with the help of God? "I do." Do you intend to be a part of this congregation? "I do." Do you agree to support this congregation with the help of God? "I do."




So it started out as confessing my faith in Jesus. It is always wonderful to do that! Then ended with agreeing to be a part of the congregation.

To become a member is described as being "received". I like this wording. It shows how it is, that I am received into the family. In this was very different from becoming a member of Jehovah's Witnesses, not only did I never feel accepted, but you have to go through steps, first you are a "publisher" keeping track of time spent in the "ministry" (trying to get more members). To join this church, I didn't have to prove that I am worthy by performing a certain number of works. In fact, it is quite the opposite. Leading up to this, my health has been poor and my finances have been poor. I miss church more often than I attend, do not volunteer in any capacity, and I have very little to give. But they are so willing to give to me. (Tearing up.) I hope from this point forward that I can be more involved in the church, but I also know that if that doesn't happen, I am loved.

See this blog post where I talk about my first visit to this church: http://onemediator.blogspot.com/2012/10/for-where-two-or-three-have-gathered.html



1 comment:

  1. We are blessed to have you. I only wish there were more disciples who studied the faith to the depth that you have. Welcome to the family!!!

    ReplyDelete