Friday, June 6, 2014

"I am going to vomit you out of my mouth."

When I left the organization, I was told by my mother that Jehovah would vomit me out of his mouth. (First of all, I find it interesting that Jesus is speaking here and Jehovah's Witnesses don't realize it.)

I have seen many evangelical Christians using this same scripture and applying it to a variety of things, mostly in denying the sacraments of Baptism and Holy Communion, denying confession and absolution, or pushing their new legalism.

The scripture confused me for several reasons, so I was going to ask someone about it, but remembered the three rules of understanding scripture: Context, context, context! Let's take a look: 


Revelation 3:15‘I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot; I wish that you were cold or hot. 16‘So because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of My mouth.

What did Jesus mean here? What makes someone lukewarm? He answers this question Himself:


17‘Because you say, “I am rich, and have become wealthy, and have need of nothing,” and you do not know that you are wretched and miserable and poor and blind and naked."

It is that they don't see their sin and their constant need for the grace and mercy of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment