Thursday, May 1, 2014

I was baptized as a Jehovah's Witness. So why did I get baptized again?


In a Jehovah's Witness baptism the one seeking baptism does a lot of studying on Jehovah's Witness doctrine and passes a test to show that they understand it. Then the day that they are baptized they are asked two questions:

1. On the basis of the sacrifice of Jesus Christ, have you repented of your sins and dedicated yourself to Jehovah to do his will?
 
2. Do you understand that your dedication and baptism identify you as one of Jehovah's Witnesses in association with God's spirit-directed organization? Having answered yes to these questions, candidates are in a right heart condition to undergo Christian baptism." -Watchtower - 1985 Jun 1 p.30

Then they are dunked. Nothing is said upon dunking.

So you see, when I was a JW I was not baptized into Jesus, in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. So when I was saved, one of the first things I wanted to do was to get baptized the right way. (Matthew 28:19-20; Acts 8:35-37)

Getting baptized in a Christian church automatically results in disfellowshipping, so I waited a few months so that I could use that time to share the gospel with my family before they cut me off. I was saved, had received, and was even filled with the Holy Spirit during that time.


I was baptized at a Baptist church about 6 months after I was born again. I was baptized into Jesus. (Galatians 3:27) I now go to a Lutheran church. Since I have been baptized into the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit, into Jesus, there is no need for me to be baptized again. Knowing what I know now, I would never get baptized into a church. Only into Jesus. 

It is possible to be born again (saved) prior to baptism, (John 5:24; 7:38-39) and I know that I was. But I also believe that baptism applies Jesus' death and resurrection to me personally. (Romans 6:3-9) I can look to my baptism for assurance that I have indeed been born again, because this is God's promise to me. (Acts 2:38-39) I have no problem with baptizing my children, even infants, because I have no problem telling them that Jesus died for them. I also see that God's Word says that baptism saves. (1 Peter 3:21) And if there is anything that I can put my faith in, it's God's Word. 

2 comments:

  1. Nicely done. May the Lord continue to work mightily in your life.

    ReplyDelete