Monday, October 8, 2012

"For where two or three have gathered together in My name, I am there in their midst." Matthew 18:20

I wrote a post a while back, angry that everyone was pressuring me to go to church. I want to clarify a few things:

When I first received Christ, he led me to a very loving church. They showed me the Romans Road and they showed me the love of Christ, comforting me and listening patiently to me. I was baptized there, and and through their love I learned about God's love for me. The church was for me... it wasn't something I was pressured into. It was what Jesus knew I needed.


But then things started to change. My family didn't thrive there. I felt pressured to go, and the reasons people gave me for going just didn't seem right. They seemed the same to me as going to the meetings when I was in the cult... an obligation. I was very discouraged about church, and very adamant that I was fine without it. I lost sight of the real reason of going to church.

So I wrote that post, defending my reasons for not going.

I have been listening to sermons on the radio and continuing with prayer and study, and I realized that Christ was calling me to a different church. So now I go, but not because I am listening to people who are pressuring me to do so... no, rather I humble myself and listen to Jesus and realize that perhaps those "pressuring" me were right.


Yes, in the scriptures the church is speaking of the body of believers, the Bride of Christ, but there is nothing wrong with using the other common definition. God has provided churches to do the work in the book of Acts... to teach the gospel, to provide the sacraments. Everyone's needs are unique, however, and He knows this. There is nothing wrong with the church I was baptized at, and God is definitely using them for His work, but each denomination and each church has a different flavor.

God does not wait to give Himself to us at church, but He did establish sacraments, and most people who do not go to church are not taking advantage of these gifts. I had not been to church in a while, and at His calling I went Sunday and received the Lord's Supper. I am renewed, energized, and using my spiritual gifts again...My joy in the Lord is once again strong and overflowing. I don't know if this church is where I am to stay, I don't know where other people should be, but this I do know... Sunday that church, and His body and blood received there was His gift to me.

2 comments:

  1. ShadesofGrey

    Amen. I also received a calling to come to the church where HE was leading me, but for a long time, I was reluctant. I was afraid because I was the victim of a cult myself and I know how painful that is. Last year in September, I finally made that big step and returned to the church where I was baptized at and became a member on the 30th and was reinstated in front of the whole congregation by the pastor and it was wonderful as everyone gave me their congrats for finally making it.

    Like you, I also followed the Jehovah's Witnesses. I followed them for only two years and dropped out when I discovered that they weren't all that they were cracked up to be nor what they chauvanistically claimed themselves to be.

    This past Sunday, I also shared in Holy Communion in my church for the first time and for the first time in my life, I felt spiritually whole by doing so and it is a wonderful feeling. I will still be attending church regularly as I found a very loving and friendly church that still continues to appreciate me coming to worship with them. I never really felt spiritually whole as a result of following the JW's for those forever gone two years, but now I do and that is a wonderful feeling. Thanks for posting this.

    I will be reading your blog regularly as I have added this to my reading lists of blogs that I follow.

    Keep those enlightened posts coming. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good post! "I felt pressured to go" I think if people truly knew and understood more about the JW background of legalism and spiritual abuse, they might be careful not to do this. I know that some Witnesses continue having a really hard time with going to an organized church, but most Christians can understand and accept that, and love them just as well, as essential and beloved members of the Body of Christ. (Church universal) -- Praise God you had that experiencing of Communing, that's wonderful!

    "each church has a different flavor." -- I love how you put that!

    blessings, bridget

    ReplyDelete