Saturday, September 1, 2012

Are you proud of being a Christian?

I have been reading Romans 1-3 over and over and trying to come to an understanding... I asked my brothers and sisters for help and then I did not head it, not opening the links to the sermons provided... but now I understand. It is a scathing rebuke to those very same Christians that belong to God. (Romans 1:7) If you read from Romans 1-3 in context you see the letter doesn't change audiences. Who was Paul writing to? What was he rebuking them for? Pride.

It is a rebuke for being judgmental, for being proud. Read it and see the meaning in context. Look at 2:1-5 and 2:17-20 and replace Jew with Christian or your denomination. How do you judge when you are no better? There is no one righteous, not even one. (3:10)

"The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like." (Galatians 5) I tell you I read this and I know what this is telling me. My sins are in that list.

"I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God." (vs. 21) I am in big trouble! Aren't I?

Thank God...

They were even more astonished and said to Him, “Then who can be saved?” Looking at them, Jesus said, “With people it is impossible, but not with God; for all things are possible with God.” (Mark 10:26-27)

And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God. (1 Corinthians 6:11)

No comments:

Post a Comment