Friday, July 26, 2013

Why do churches use the term "Services"?

"The Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve."- Matthew 20:28


Jesus serves:


1. By proclaiming God's Word:

"Already you are clean because of the word that I have spoken to you." - John 15:3

2. By baptizing:


"Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her to make her holy, cleansing her by the washing with water through the word, and to present her to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless." Ephesians 5:25-27


3. The Lord's Supper:

 "Now as they were eating, Jesus took bread, and after blessing it broke it and gave it to the disciples, and said, “Take, eat; this is my body.” And he took a cup, and when he had given thanks he gave it to them, saying, “Drink of it, all of you, for this is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins." - Matthew 26:26-28
"For who is greater, the one who is at the table or the one who serves? Is it not the one who is at the table? But I am among you as one who serves." - Luke 22:2


4. Proclaiming forgiveness:


Then Jesus said to her, "Your sins are forgiven." - Luke 7:48






When Jesus saw their faith, he said to the paralyzed man, "Son, your sins are forgiven." - Mark 2:5





The Church serves:  


1. By proclaiming God's Word: 

“Simon, son of John, do you love me?” He said to him, “Yes, Lord; you know that I love you.” He said to him, “Tend my sheep.” John 21:16

"We are therefore Christ's ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us. We implore you on Christ's behalf: Be reconciled to God." - 2 Corinthians 5:20

2. By baptizing: 

"Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit," - Matthew 28:19



3. The Lord's Supper:

"For I received from the Lord what I also delivered to you, that the Lord Jesus on the night when he was betrayed took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it, and said, “This is my body which is for you. Do this in remembrance of me.” In the same way also he took the cup, after supper, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood. Do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of me. For as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death until he comes." - 1 Corinthians 11:23-26

4. Proclaiming forgiveness: 

Jesus said to them again, “Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, even so I am sending you.” And when he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them, “Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven them;" - John 20:21-23


"I am writing to you, little children, because your sins are forgiven for his name’s sake." - 1 John 2:12









No comments:

Post a Comment