Monday, November 5, 2012

"I cannot. I cannot atone for my sin; I cannot earn heaven; I cannot make things right. I cannot please God. I cannot."

If you have been confused by all the religions of the world; if you have despaired of finding anything resembling absolute truth, you may be at peace. Listen as Luther points out why Christianity is unique and why Christ is the only Savior this world will ever see. In the Small Catechism, the simple book he wrote so fathers and mothers might be better able to share the Savior's story of salvation with their little ones,...listen again to the first two words: "I cannot." That's it. Those two words, "I cannot" is the confession which sets Christianity apart from all the other religions of the world.

Please, investigate the hundreds of religions, the thousands of belief systems, the tens of thousands of divinities which have appeared and faded from the pages of human history. If you do, you will find that they all say, "You must try. You must try to bridge the gulf sin has created between you and god. You must try to pay the price for all you have done wrong. You must try to find a way that will transform your god's frown into a smile." "You must try" is what these faiths say and try is what their followers do.

Understand, I share these things not as a mockery of other faiths. Not at all, I stand in awe at their sincerity, the loyalty, the lengths to which people will go to win the favor of their divine.

Luther confessed, "I cannot. I cannot atone for my sin; I cannot earn heaven; I cannot make things right. I cannot please God. I cannot."

This would indeed be a dark and dreary message if those words were the final thought I had to share with you. Thankfully, there is more to be said; there is good news to be delivered. God's good news is this: "While we were yet sinners, Christ came to die for us." Another passage underscores God's good news when it says, "The wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life which comes through Jesus Christ." God's good news assures, "By grace are you saved, through faith in Jesus Christ as your Savior." Luther was led to believe, as millions believe, as you need to believe: even though we sinners cannot fix things, God can. In other words: "Although I cannot, God can and God does."

quoted from a sermon by Rev. Dr. Ken Klaus

No comments:

Post a Comment