Sunday, December 22, 2013

Church Membership

Trying to show true doctrine to JWs and X-JWs presents a challenge with church membership. As soon as they find out that you belong to a church, they assume that you illogically accept church beliefs that are unbiblical. A lot of Christian X-JWs let that keep them from ever becoming a member of a church. I let it hold me back for a while.

Finally I decided that I just want to be a Christian and get on with my life. I don't want to be identified to myself and others as an X-JW anymore, so to get over my fear of church membership I had to just jump in. Now I have finished membership classes at church, and I don't think I can do it... I get very nervous, afraid of being rejected if I miss a couple of weeks in a row. I have missed a month now. (I have an autoimmune disease and my daughter has been having chronic digestion problems.) And I feel that when I go back I can't promise to be a church member.

3 comments:

  1. I am reading your blog because I saw a link in facebook.
    I am sure your aware that you are the church and you do not need to attend every weekly service to be a good christian. I have been a regular attendee at my congregation for 15 years and have never seen the need to become a member of that "church". I believe church is a place for mainly fellowship as well as other things. I dont think they (if they are true christians) will have any objection if you dont become a member.
    In Christ, Rob

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just one step at a time. Jesus does all things well and he is the one in whom we trust. Church is where I go to receive the forgiveness of sins and I learn there and I love those people and they love me. At church I feel like I am coming home, tasting something that I long for. Hearing God's Word is where I enter into His rest. That is a bit about how I think if it. But to say that someone isn't a true Christian based on how they think about membership theirs or anyone else's is not a right statement, Bob. Church is where we receive the forgiveness of sins and there we find life and salvation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, it is like coming home and tasting something that I long for.

    Thank you Rob and Katy. I understand the different views of church membership. :)

    I also know that my fears are mostly unfounded. I have gone back over and over again after missing for many weeks and I get the same warm welcome. <3

    ReplyDelete